Thursday 11 March 2010

Science and Politics: A start

Two days ago (Tuesday 9th March 2010) a debate on Science was organised in the UK, using as an incentive the General Election of 2010. Since this debate was broadcast live - for the first time in the history of the House of Commons - the whole world (including me) had the chance to follow the debate.

The debate was organised by the Royal Society of Chemistry on behalf of the science and engineering community (Royal Society, Royal Academy of Engineering, Institute of Physics, Society of Biology, Geological Society, Royal Astronomical Society, the Science Council and the Campaign for Science & Engineering, etc).

Three politicians took part in the debate:
  1. Adam Afriyie MP Conservative Party - Shadow Minister for Innovation and Science
  2. Lord Drayson Labour Party - Minister of State for Science and Innovation
  3. Dr Evan Harris MP Liberal Democratic Party - Spokesperson for Science & Technology

The link to watch this debate is at:

http://www.rsc.org/ScienceAndTechnology/Parliament/Events/2010Election.asp

I know that it would give more meaning to this post if I gave my views, but I am not ready yet. Anyway I need to read first the documents produced recently on the future of science in the UK. And that is one of the things I will do next. Hopefully one day I will be able to come back to this.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, the houses of parliament have been broadcasting on TV live for some time - this was a first webcast :) Did you never watch BBC Parliament when you were here? No? I don't blame you!

    ReplyDelete